Monday, June 25, 2018

Funschooling....A New Way to Engage My Children and Promote the LoVe of Learning


We are trying a few new things this year....You would think after 23 years of homeschooling, that I would have tried all of the curriculum options out there...Well not quite. :)

I have tried to "change it up" through the years as my children as have grown and developed new interests.  I love teaching them together when I can, especially when it comes to bible, history, read alouds, and even art, so this year I am planning on using the Genesis Curriculum with my 3 youngest ,and in the process of researching this material, I stumbled upon The Thinking Tree Journals.  I am so excited to incorporate them, and I will show you why!

My 1st review is on Spelling time.  This one is for ages 10+.  They also have similar journals aimed at younger children.  Check out the links to the right.


Do-It-Yourself
Master 150+ Advanced A Spelling Words
Animals & Instrucments
SPELLING TIME
by
Linda Janisse

This book not only teaches spelling in a thorough and fun way, 
but also incorporates creative writing,  research skills, while learning 
about animals,instruments, countries and map drawing skills.




Each group of words includes an animal, an instrument and a country.

On this page, you would use your gel pens or colored pencils
and color in the letters of each word.  I think this is a great activity to really
get you thinking about the letters included in each word.  At the bottom of the
page, you list the animal and research 5 five facts about them.




Theses books have great pictures to color, that 
go along with the lesson.



Next you fill in the missing letters in each word 
and look up the definitions for a couple of the words.



Your child will then learn some facts
about the instrument listed, and choose
if they would like to draw a picture
of the instrument or the animal.

They will go through each set of words in this manner
and then later in the book there will review pages.
You will find a sample of the review pages below.




This page has you make new words using the spelling words.




On the page opposite this one, is a list of the words
and on this page you list only the descriptive words in the list.

There are also pages similar to this one, in which you list
all of the verbs, or all of the given names,
or it asks you to list all the words of different 
lengths (all of the 6, 7 or 8 letter words, etc.)

You will also be circling all of the words that you can 
spell and listing out the ones that you still need work on.

There are many pages of fun review included!


Word searches



Creative writing



The girls and I are excited about our find, and each one has enjoyed picking out the journal 
that they are interested in.

Please consider using the links provided to make your purchases.

Stay tuned for more Thinking Tree Reviews!!!

 * If you are viewing this on a mobile device, please visit the full website of my blog to find Amazon links to purchase a variety The Thinking Tree journals.

 If you use my Amazon links I may receive a small commission from the sale of the book.

No comments: